I have not written in so long. I would attribute this absence to a culmination of writing a twenty page paper on the globalization of health care, two ten page written finals on health care law and policy, attending surgeries, and being on call the past 9 of 13 days. I do not mention this as a complaint but a mere statement of what I have been up to. I haven't posted any pictures either because for some reason I couldn't get them to upload.
As for my surgery rotation, I love it! I went into it thinking I had nil interest but I was wrong. I'm not saying I will be a surgeon as the hours and demands are high but I have a greater appreciation for the field. My preceptor has let me do a lot in the operating room with him. Every day he lets me do more to the point where I do (almost) all the cutting, suturing, tying knots, pointing out anatomy, and dressings. This blog is not for ones with a sensitive stomach but watching the peristalsis of the small intestine while holding the liver out of the way is so neat. Another patient had their entire stomach up in their chest cavity and I got to pull it back down, who does that? I just cannot get over how much fun I'm having. I'm sad its over next week, though I do get one more surgery rotation in January. Not only is the surgery rewarding but having a patient take your hand when you see them the next day and have them tell you how much better they feel and how thankful they are for what you've done makes it worth the effort.
I'm not on call this weekend so Ryan and I are decorating our apartment this morning and then we're going out to happy hour with some friends before heading to New Moon! It is so nice to have nothing to worry about with school and just enjoy the weather and weekend off. If you think we're decorating too early, we probably are, but not as early as last year. Ryan and I are heading to Minnesota for Thanksgiving next weekend and I want to come home to a decorated apartment. I'm very excited to go home and see everyone. Anyhow, sorry if this blog is a bore. I've been contemplating the purpose of this blog. I'm not sure if its for me, family, or what my theme is. Maybe it doesn't need a theme or target audience. I initially started it to remember everything that has happened that I can look back on someday. Maybe that's theme enough.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and God Bless,
Raquel
Currently Reading: "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott
Listening To: Revolution by Miranda Lambert (Rocking!)
1 comment:
Surgery sounds really cool! I'm always fascinated by that stuff on tv...I can only imagine what it's like to be in the room let alone hands on! What a neat experience! Sounds like things are going well with you guys! Miss you lots & safe travels to MN! :)
-Wendy
Post a Comment