Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Shunt placement

Well after much waiting we finally got the shunt placed, though not without lots of anxiety.  We went in yesterday (Tuesday morning) thinking we were going to have it put in then.  However, baby Caleb was in the absolute worst positioning, even after hours of trying to get him to move, the doctor did not want to risk injuring other parts to get to his chest wall, which I completely agreed with.   So we went in again this morning and low and behold he was in the perfect spot.  Honestly, I had prepared myself to go to work this morning thinking he wouldn't be in the right position again, so I was taken a bit off guard.  I had to get prepped for the operating room, get an IV placed, etc to decrease the risk of infection and other things.  Caleb was very active this morning before we went to the OR and every time I felt him move I would feel like I was about to start crying.  I just feel so bad to be putting my 1 pound baby through such a traumatic experience.  Ryan saw me off and as they were wheeling me to the OR I was crying uncontrollably.  I have had surgery before but it is a completely different experience knowing it is being done on your child and even more weird when that child is in your belly.  I was so scared of all the dreaded "complications" they discussed with this procedure.  I got to the OR and the anesthesiologist gave me some medicine and suddenly I was relaxed and instead of crying said the "Our Father" over and over again until it was over.

The pain of the procedure was nothing for me.  Unfortunately, the first attempt of putting the shunt in did not work.  Apparently they have to "pigtail" the catheter on each side once they get it in so it doesn't come out and this part of the procedure didn't work the first time.  This may or may not have to be removed after Caleb is born, depending on where it ends up.  They then attempted to put in another shunt, this time with success and great positioning.  We will not know for a while whether the shunt is actually doing any good or not.  My next appointment isn't until Tuesday next week so a whole lot more waiting.   In the meantime, as they put a large needle into the amniotic sac, I am at risk of preterm rupture of membranes, probably for about the next five days or so, so will be taking it easy and was advised to not travel or do any heavy lifting.  Our doctor said the reason they are not seeing me earlier is there is nothing they would do in the meantime to intervene at this point.  Starting week 23/24 is when the plan kind of changes as Caleb would technically be big enough to potentially survive outside the womb.   After they put the shunt in Caleb was doing well and has been very active since.

Thank you everyone for all the well wishes, texts, messages, prayers, and phone calls letting us know you are pulling for our little man.

Love,
Ryan and Raquel

I also want to give a big shout out to my little sister Peyton who is graduating from high school this weekend.  We are devastated we cannot make it there to celebrate all your amazing accomplishments with you.  We are so very proud of you and love you to pieces.  Congratulations, my sweet Peyton.

Prayer requests:
1)  The shunt works and Caleb keeps growing strong
2)  No other complications happen (water breaking, infection, etc)
3)  Ryan and I can relax this weekend and reflect on the past three weeks

2 comments:

Linda Kalpin said...

Keep up the good work and faith that everything is going to be fine. Love you guys and hope to see you soon. Maybe we will make a trip to seen you soon.Love Grandma & Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Continuing to keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Mike and Mary Jo