Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Beginning of the End

First off, I would like to congratulate my "little" brother Mitchell on graduating from high school. He plans on attending NDSU next fall to study pharmacy. We had a great time celebrating with him and the rest of the family. Mitch, Ryan and I are so proud of how well you've done and we can't wait to see what the future has in store for you. We love you, Mitch.

I have officially completed my 3rd year of medical school and am about to embark on the intimidating 4th year. I ended up doing my month of June working in an ER. It was exciting and I saw a lot but I did not like the fact that if a patient is not critically ill, they are discharged and told to follow up with their primary care provider and you never see them again. Where is the finality in that? Being my thorough self I did not acclimate well to the emergency room. I enjoyed my time spent there but in the end my mind doesn't work that way. I do enjoy putting in stitches, however... any takers??

Where is the time going? I still remember my first day of medical school like it was yesterday and now I only have nine months left. I feel I could be in school for three more years and still not know everything there is to know, it is overwhelming. I have my second step of boards coming up in August ... didn't I just finish studying for the first one? Gosh, I can't keep up with time anymore. I have questioned how much more I can handle to tell you the truth. The pressure of landing a good residency, performing for interviews, and transitioning into life as a real physician seems daunting. While listening to the message at church this morning, I decided to approach the process differently. There is nothing in life I have achieved where I did not work hard for it. My efforts have not put me into the top 5% of my medical school class, but I am OK with that. I find comfort knowing I did the best I could. I do not intend on changing my ways now. I will put my best foot forth and pour my whole heart into the residency application process, in the end that is all I can do. All else is out of my control. If I stay true to who I am, God will guide me the rest of the way. Even if things don't work out perfectly as planned, everything will still be OK. I have the most wonderful man beside me, a family that loves me unconditionally, and faith in God's plan. Everything else is superfluous.

Next month I am rotating at the Alexandria Clinic in Minnesota, I get to be home for a whole month in the summer! I am nervous and excited at the same time. There is an added pressure that I may know some of the patient's/employee's. I'll just have to do that much better I guess. Ryan, I will miss you so much! Please don't trash the apartment while I'm gone ;) (I know, you'd never do that)


We had some visitors a couple of weeks ago. Savannah, Marit, and Olivia came to spend a few days in Kansas City. I think we were all happy to get pool time in. Thanks for coming you three, it was fun. My sisters are the best!


For the second year in a row, I used my birthday money to attend a concert of my choice. This year I chose to take advantage of my fan club membership and buy Lady Antebellum tickets. I absolutely LOVE Lady A. Their music has been a refuge for me the past three years as I have spent countless hours studying to it. When they came on stage, my eyes started to water. I got so emotional because Lady A's music is more than a culmination of notes to me. It represents comfort, a way to bring me home again. The concert was awesome, I can't wait to see them again someday! Tim McGraw was an added bonus. I like his music and movies but he seemed arrogant to me on stage which turned me off a bit but it didn't deter from the overall enjoyment of the night.

Currently Reading: The Opposite of Love by Julie Buxbaum

Love ♥ Raquel

No comments: