Thursday, May 13, 2010

I'm Not in Kansas (City) Anymore

Raquel here, reporting from the humble abode I currently reside in. Location: Hoisington, Kansas. In our 3rd year we are required to do a rural rotation and I ended up four hours west of Kansas City in a town of 2,500. I was not looking forward to this family medicine rotation at all but I am happy to report it has been much better than expected. I LOVE small town medicine, much more fun than the big city in my opinion. Everyone has been so welcoming to us and are thankful for all we do here. Stark contrast from being treated as second rate citizens in the big KC. I kind of forgot how relaxing it is to live in a small town, it has been 7 years (I know, I can't believe it either). The pace is slower and no one is ever in a hurry. It seems that because of that, things are also more efficient. Who knew? I love that everyone knows everyone else and that true relationships are formed. I am also thrilled to report that since my arrival in rural Kansas, I have not had one inkling of a headache... For me not to have one headache in a time frame of two weeks is actually pretty remarkable. My body is trying to tell me something, I think.


I have one suitcase worth of clothing, a book bag of text and fiction books, my toiletries, iPod, and computer. Life is so much more simple, it makes me wonder why we clutter our lives with things we don't need when they inevitably just increase the maintenance and stress required to function. I am able to enjoy the weather, breathe the fresh air, enamor at the sky full of stars, and experience once again stress-free living. It's hard to explain but I feel like air, like a bunch of weight has been lifted. I am refreshed and ready to move onto 4th year, what a great gift it has been.


Ryan and I met halfway last weekend to go on a camping extravaganza. We had an awesome camping wedding shower thrown for us and are stocked up on the camping gear so we decided to make use of it! We had a great time. (Besides the 30 mph winds and 32 degree weather one night) One thing I demanded was to see the Wizard of Oz Museum. It was very cheesy, complete with the Wizard of Oz soundtrack playing over and over, and thousands of collector items from the movie but interesting none the less. I have to say the highlight of the weekend, though was visiting the President Eisenhower Library/Museum. It is remarkable what that one man accomplished in his lifetime. The history of our country is fascinating to me and that is what I enjoy most about the presidential libraries, they make our history palpable. If anyone gets a chance to visit it or any other presidential library, I highly recommend it.


I have droned on enough about inconsequential things but I am satisfied with my current feelings of contentment. Take some time for yourself this month, it will do you wonders.

Love ♥,
Raquel

Currently Reading: "Fire" by Kristin Cashore
Listening to: "Falling Slowly" by The Frames

No comments: