We discovered the "secret" place of PV, The Cheeky Monkey. It is right on the Malecon with spectacular views and... $1 ice cold Corona's served with a lime. In our 7 days in PV, there were no other places we found where the beer was such a good deal so we made it a point to go back. The Cheeky Monkey to me was PV personified. No one there is in a hurry. In fact, I'm not sure ANYTHING was on time. If a boat was scheduled to leave at 8AM, it probably didn't leave the dock until 9, 10 o'clock. Starbuck's even opened over an hour late! I think we (American's) often get caught up into our schedules and deadlines too much. Life is so much simpler in PV. They don't have the most luxurious living situations, but all of them seem happy. They must know something we don't. And though the bill didn't come until three hours after we sat down, it made it all the more relaxing.

Ry and I also got a chance to attend Mass at the Cathedral in the Zona Romantica of PV. What made the experience so exemplary was the Mass was given in English and Spanish. To worship with people who don't even speak the same language as you was memorable. Plus, the church was beautiful. Some of the decor they had displayed you would never see here in America. The portrayal of Jesus was much more graphic, yet it felt more realistic. What an amazing experience!
I think Ry might argue one of his favorite memories of the trip was watching the Mariachi band on the Malecon Sunday night. We discovered that the people of PV use Sunday night as they're "going out" night. The Malecon was hopping with people. Ry and I were rushing to make the start of the concert by 6. Needless to say we were on time but the concert didn't start until 7:30, it all goes back to what I said before, nobody is in a hurry in PV! The band was superb; I felt like I was listening to classic Mexicana music with an old-world charm. And, if you can't tell, we not only were serenaded by the band, but had the soft sounds of the ocean waves crashing on the rocks in the background. Heaven :)
One cannot mention PV without mentioning THE FOOD. I can honestly say I have never experienced quite the cuisine. I may be biased due to my love of cilantro and guacamole, however. Not only was the food delectable and reasonably priced, but the presentation was exquisite. My favorite restuarant I must say was Pipi's (below). They served the most big and tasty margaritas I have ever had and a waiter made the guacamole right in front of us. However, this place was crazy. A three-man band went around singing at different tables (My fav "La Bamba"), a table of Spring Break ridden college students had tequila shots poured into their mouths from the bottle, and each table was served by six different waiters throughout the meal. It was exhausting, but delicious.

Part I complete. Part II coming soon...
♥ R
1 comment:
Glad to hear they are still serving $1 beers and huge Margaritas in Mexico. Can't wait to hear about more adventures. Please tell me that Ryan tried to ask for a bathroom and ended up being taken to jail or something.
Post a Comment