Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Auld Lang Syne

On the brink of a new year, I can not even believe it. 2009? It does not seem right to me, but I will embrace it as I always do.

I was lucky enough to spend the week of New Years with Sav here in KC. I can't even begin to tell you how much I have missed my sister. It was wonderful to spend the week just hanging around with her. We enjoyed doing nothing together. We watched movies, shopped, cooked, read books, and talked. These occasions are few and far between for the two of us so it was nice to refresh ourselves and catch up!

One of the highlights was bringing Sav to see the KU campus in Lawrence, KS. I knew she would be one to appreciate it and boy did she! It has the culture and feel of UW in Madison which is why I feel she appreciated it all the more. Plus it is a beautiful and lively campus which is always fun to see. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.


I would have to say; however, that the best part of the week was New Years Eve. We decided to check out the Power and Light District downtown KC. It was neat because they have an outdoor atrium surrounded by many bars and restaurants. In the atrium they had several cover bands (as Sav alluded to) playing and they sounded like the real thing which made the evening all the better. We ended up going to the country bar which was a lot of fun. Sav and I danced and Ry watched our coats. Poor Ry... he didn't want to dance so I guess that is what he gets :) The band even played Keith Urban for Sav!


The best part of the evening I would have to say, though, is when we were counting down. 4... 3... 2... 1... 2009! At that point an "aged" man asked Sav for a kiss... her expression was priceless and I caught a picture of it, including the man in the background! I didn't even mean to do that. Classic... Of course, she politely declined, but it was hilarious. Sorry Sav.


Our lazy week came to an end and of course, I was sad she was leaving. I have been spoiled the last two weeks with time off and visiting with family. The night before Sav left her and I stayed up late just talking. Since then I have reflected upon a quote from the movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, “We are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss”. Savannah and I had talked about how life turns out the way it is, how one simple decision can change the entire course of your life. Sav and I wondered how both of us ended up at different colleges as close as we were and still are. What would have been different? I don't know. But I do know I wouldn't change anything. I especially think about the night I met my husband and how random it was. If Kacie and I had not decided to check out our first fraternity party, if we would have went to the left side of the room instead of the right, if Kacie had not given my future husband a hug, where would life be now? I'm guessing much different. We are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss. What a profound thought. Thanks for the talk Sav, I love you.

♥ R

Off to get ready for the rest of my no good, very bad, WEEK!

3 comments:

Sav said...

That picture. Is. Hideous. Seriously.

The sad thing is that I didn't even know you were taking a picture. That was my reaction without impression. Kind of makes me feel bad for the guy.

Sav said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sav said...

And I had an amazing time with you as well. I am very sad our next meeting is not yet planned, but I am very grateful for our week together. Nothing like filling our time with heart-to-heart conversations with you, something I will never be sick of. Love you.